Monday, September 20, 2010

5150 Caffeine Energy Mix Review

What better to review right after a caffeine free energy drink then a liquid caffeine mix? 5150 Caffeine Mix is a condensed four oz. case with the intended use of small amounts being added to other products, mainly drinks. The bottle contains 1800 mg of caffeine, which is far too much to consume in one sitting, but as an addict let me tell you, it's pretty cool to have so much caffeine in such a small container. The container itself is white and has a single yellow sticker attached to it. There's no real design or pattern, as it goes for the look that bulk items come in, which makes sense, given this is basically bulk caffeine.

Now, straight up 5150 mix is horribly bitter, which makes sense given it's unflavoured and only semi-sweetened, so I can't review this like other energy products. I mixed miscellaneous amounts of 5150 to various products, and some of the ones that you couldn't taste where any different include: weight control maple and brown sugar oatmeal(one packet, 150mg), Diet Barqs Root Beer(twelve oz. can, seventy five mg), Diet Shasta Cola(eight oz., seventy five mg), skim milk(eight oz., seventy five mg), and Diet Dr Pepper Cherry(twelve oz. can, seventy five mg). Some drinks actually tasted different slightly, but they weren't bitter, but a bit sweeter, my guess from the sweeteners in 5150 itself: Fresca Black Cherry Citrus(twelve oz. can, 112.5mg), water(eight oz., seventy five mg), and Polar diet Double Fudge(eight oz., seventy five mg). Nothing I added caffeine to became bitter, which honestly surprised me, especially with the water. Overall, 5150's taste depends wholly on what you add it to, so experiment a bit and find what suits yours.

*Note: because 5150 claims to have no crash, I only added it to products with little or no added sugar. Also, because it's semi-sweetened, I wanted to better notice if a product was any sweeter.*

Kick really all depends on how much mix you add. For example, if you add 300mg of caffeine you'll receive a much stronger kick then if you just add seventy five mg. If I added around seventy five milligrams, I felt only mildly energized and it lasted around an hour and a half. If I added around 150mg, I felt much more energized, and it lasted two and a half hour or so. When I added about 225mg, the kick came a lot quicker, and it lasted just under four hours. I added 300mg only once, and it resulted in a strong and speedy buzz. I only had jitters when more than two hundred mg were added, but I never crashed. Other than caffeine, the liquid contains various amounts of various B vitamins. In the end, 5150 Caffeine Energy Mix does exactly what it was designed to do; be essentially a build-your-own energy drink mix.

official site

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5150 is a JOKE. I took three shots and was asleep five minutes later.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous (obviously a competitor of 5150 as they made the same comment on every review site)... If you are legit - did you know caffeine can have a reverse effect on some people who have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)? Chances are you have this disorder. And if you fell asleep 5 minutes later this tells me that this stuff is very potent.

Steve said...

Got some of the sweet formula. Added 2 tsp to 16 oz of gatorade. Yuck. It tastes like I crushed up a bunch of aspirin and put it in. It also leaves a chalky taste in your mouth.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.