Tuesday, May 26, 2009

amp Trading Spaces

The amp line as a whole has been mediocre. None of the drinks have really been exceptional, and only a couple of the drinks have redeemable qualities. But for some reason they continue to sell well enough to encourage Pepsi to make more extensions, and the latest is amp Trading Paint. amp Trading Paint is a limited edition variety of amp that instead of focusing on one flavour, is a blend of three flavours, lime, orange and berry. Personally, I think that a berry, orange and lime mix is a good idea for a drink, but I have a feeling that amp will find a way to it screw up.

FIRST IMPRESSION: The can of amp Trading Paint is what you get when you put an original amp in a Nascar koozie. And as you can imagine, I don't like the can. Its cluttered by the large "88," scrambled text, and the weird "a" above the amp logo. I guess Nascar fans will like the Dale Earnhardt Jr sponsorship, but for everyone else, the can fails to impress.

TASTE: I opened the can and took a sip. The flavour is hard to describe. It starts out with heavy focus on the berry, which then fades away, leaving behind a sweet lime flavour. The berry flavour is pretty tart, and is mainly blue raspberry, with a hint of cotton candy. There's no orange at all through out the drink, which I can't say is a disappointment, as orange flavoured energy drinks are not my favourite. After the lime, there's a syrupy aftertaste, which by no means is as bad as Black Jack Energy Tea, but is just as bad or worse than amp Overdrive. Overall, the flavour of amp Trading Paint had potential, but sadly it just turned into a disappointing, syrupy mess of berry and lime.

KICK: Each can contains: 160mg of caffeine, 296mg of Taurine, thirty four mg of Ginseng, 148mg of Maltodextrin, and 100% of Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, and niacin. And just like the other amps before it, I got a weak buzz. For around two or three hours I had mild jitters and my mental alertness was raised briefly. Though it was weak, it was still better than amp original.

FINAL WORD: Overall, I feel that amp Trading Paint is a poor attempt at making an unique energy drink. The can was a cluttered mess, the flavour was syrupy and the kick was weak. I can't say that I'm surprised that amp Trading Paint was a disappointment, mainly because most of the other amp energy drinks were pretty bad. This drink had a lot of potential. A blend of orange, berry and lime is interesting, but just like I thought, they some how screwed it up. Being that its an amp energy drink pretty much assures you a weak kick, and for a Nascar licenced product, I wasn't expecting a good can. Its the flavour that really disappointed me. It seems that amp original and amp Lightning are the only good energy drink in the line, and I really don't see that ever changing. Do not get suckered in to buying this disgrace of an energy drink, whether your a Nascar freak, an amp fan(Darwin forbid), or just a caffeine junkie. Skip amp Trading Paint...2/5

official site

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.