Thursday, December 10, 2009

amp sugar free re-formulation

While at my local Market Basket, I said to myself, "What energy drinks do I still need to review?" I scanned the shelves quickly, until I noticed amp sugar free in a slightly different can. I initially assumed it was nothing and I said to myself "Nah, I've already reviewed that drink," but then the can said "No, I've changed since then..." Remembering my hatred towards amp sugar free, I nearly screamed, "No, you haven't. I've already reviewed you," and stormed off to continue shopping. But all through out the day, I kept hearing his voice, chanting my name, telling me I'm not worthy to be called the Caffeine King. It took a toll on me, and I eventually broke down and bought a can. I now know that the can wasn't lying to me, amp sugar free really has changed, Not just the can, but also the taste and the kick. Now, I doubt the changes are for the better, but I'm only reviewing amp sugar free r/f to prove I'm worthy of the Caffeine King name.

FIRST IMPRESSION: The can hasn't been significantly changed since I saw it last, but what's different is still is an improvement. The black writing is attractive against the sliver background. Though that's all that's changed, I personally feel that it really improves the overall look of the design. The original can was too light, and the black makes the can look much more appealing and sleek. But despite being improved, the can is still nothing worth writing about.

TASTE: I opened the can and took a sip. The flavour begins an sharp lime that is soon followed by a mild braid of sourness and syrup, but is quickly overpowered by a pleasant mango. The mango is initially natural tasting, but quickly an almost grainy sweetness engulfs the fruit. While that may not seem all that appetizing, I found it to add complexity to the flavour. The overall sweetness tastes like real sugar, which is a shock. Overall, I'm pleased with the improvement in amp sugar free r/f's taste. Although I'm not saying the flavour anything amazing, it is quiet drinkable, and for some reason, after a while, I started to enjoy it.

KICK: Each can contains: 160mg of caffeine, Taurine, 184mg of maltodextrin, guarana, twelve mg of ginseng, ten calories, and 200% of your daily intake of riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and niacin. The original amp sugar free's kick was more pathetic than French Stewart acting abilities, but thankfully amp went back to the drawing boards with the reformulation. While nothing out of the ordinary, the kick lasted a good three+ hours. It was jitter free and my mental awareness was raised.

FINAL WORD: I had my doubts about amp sugar free r/f, but surprisingly the people over at amp took their time, and addressed several of the complaints that the original amp sugar free had. The can looks okay, the taste was good, and the kick was acceptable. Now, I can think of several better sugar free energy drinks(like Rockstar Zero Carb) that I can recommend over amp sugar free r/f, but I can't think of many drinks in the amp line I can recommend. All in all, for an amp, amp sugar free r/f is an impressive drink, but when compared to the thousands of other energy drinks on the market, it has nothing of any real value to offer...2.6/5

official site

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.