Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jolt Power Cola Re-review

I hate my early reviews, I really do. They were short, poorly written, redundant, riddled with errors, contained personal jokes, and often made no sense, and my original Jolt Cola review was all of the above. It's embarrassing looking back on it, and I apologies for those who ever read it. Judging from the contents of my original Jolt Cola review, it sounded like I really enjoyed it, but since several recent Jolt flavours have been terrible, I doubt my opinion will remain the same.

FIRST IMPRESSION: Though it's a full blown energy drink, Jolt Cola's can doesn't say it is one. While it does say "carbonated energy" under the stupid yellow seal, in order to know that, you'd have to rip off the label(which generally means you have to buy it). Since most remember Jolt Cola as just a caffeinated cola, one not looking for an energy drink could easily pick up Jolt by mistake. Other cans of Jolt have a clear seal, so they don't run into this problem, but since the one I have does, it's an issue. The actual can to Cola runs into the same problems that plagued the rest of the line, so I'm not going to waste time by repeating myself. It's been quite a while since I've had an energy cola, but since I've yet to find a truly impressive one, things are not looking so good for Jolt Cola.

TASTE: I unscrewed the cap and took a sip. The flavour starts as a mildly carbonated cola. It's semi-sweet, but thanks to the use of HFCS, it's unnecessarily syrupy and leaves a film coating your mouth. The actual cola body tastes bland and generic, with very little to no spice or vanilla hints. The cola taste does(thankfully) end, but sadly a bitter metallic taste then becomes evident. This along with the syrupy coating, are the only true aftertaste. Overall, Jolt Cola's taste makes most supermarket brand colas seem like they had years of development spent on perfecting their taste. It's that bad.

KICK: Each can contains: Taurine, 190mg of caffeine, guarana, ginseng, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine hydrochloride, and riboflavin. Once I finished the entire can, I did notice I felt more awake and alert. I was jittery, but I didn't feel all too mentally uplifted. I didn't crash, but the kick subtly declined in about three hours.

FINAL WORD: Jolt Cola, to be perfectly honest, is really a worthless energy drink. Everything about it is awful, and not even nostalgia can save it. The kick was average, the taste was disappointingly boring, and the can looks terrible. And if that's the quality of their flagship product, I'm honestly not surprised that its parent company filed for bankruptcy protection. I haven't seen many energy cola's around, and Jolt Cola doesn't make me want to look harder. If you grew up in the eighties and are looking for Jolt Cola for old times sake, then buy an original can off eBay. Skip Jolt Cola...2.2/5

official site

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.