Sunday, May 24, 2009

Unbound Energy

Back in March I reviewed the run of the mill juice energy drink Unbound Juice, and at my most recent Big Lots run I found one of the three varieties of Unbound, Unbound Original. Unbound Energy is what I expect to be the FreeFall clone in the line, because of the lack of flavour indication. Though I can't say that I'm terribly excited to review Unbound, I can't say that I'm dreading the thought of reviewing it.

FIRST IMPRESSION: The can of Unbound uses the same design as Unbound Juice did before it, but uses gray instead of orange rust, which I feel suits the design better. The gray also makes the can looks more hardcore. Though not the most impressive energy drink cans I've ever seen, its certainly a vast improvement over its juice counter part.

TASTE: I cracked open the can and took a sip. The flavour surprised me. It starts out light with a mild mango flavour. The mango is sweet and doesn't last long, as a stronger peach flavour takes over. The peach doesn't taste seltzer-y like in rip it Power, but instead clean and crisp. Both the peach and the mango imitate there respected fruit quite well. Unbound goes down very smooth and there's no tartness, sourness, or bitterness to account for. Overall, an unexpectedly good to great flavour from Unbound.

KICK: Each can contains: Carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, citric acid, taurine, caffeine, natural and artificial flavors, inositol, panax ginseng root extract, niacinamide, sucralose, and artificial colors. This seemingly average blend, for some reason, gave me one hell of a kick. Five, count them five hours I had all jitters, and twitches I could want from an energy drink. After the five hours or so, my alertness went down and though it wasn't a hard or sudden crash, it was still noticeable enough to make note of.

FINAL WORD: Overall, I feel that Unbound Original Energy is not only an improvement over Unbound Juice, but also one of the better energy drinks I've reviewed lately. I was expecting a Red Bull clone, judging by the lack of flavour indication, but instead it was an unique blend of mango and peach. Though I'm surprised on the flavour, I can't say that I was surprised by the kick. Being that it's made by Hansen's pretty much guaranteed a good, powerful kick. All in all, in the case of Unbound Energy, the positives out weight the negatives, so whether it's $.60, or $2.50, I say buy it...4.3/5

official site

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.