Friday, August 28, 2009

Max Velocity Pomegranate Berry Sugar Free

On my most recent trek to Shaws, along with Max Velocity Pomegranate Berry, I picked up Max Velocity Pomegranate Berry Sugar Free. For the time being, this is the second last variant in the Max Velocity Line(I believe), and as a whole, I feel that the line is a surprisingly good, especially since it is generic. Now, usually I'm not all too excited to review sugar free energy drinks, but since past Max Velocity sugar free flavours have been quite good, things are different.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
The can to Max Velocity Pom S/F is simply ugly. There's a lot of needless text and the cheetah is unfitting. But if there is one thing that seal's the nail on the coffin, it would have to be the colour. The colour, a light, almost washed out purple, is unsightly. Why Super Value(or Albertsons) thought that this colour would help sell their drink is beyond me.

TASTE: I opened the can and poured some in a glass. The colour is a surprisingly deep purple colour. The flavour starts out a bland blend of pomegranate and some miscellaneous berry's, namely cranberry and blueberry. This mix reminds me of Trix yogurt, though not as strong as it did in Sports Energy. After the blend a light tartness stays in your mouth, but it doesn't last too long. The overall sweetness is minimal, which helps keep the sugar free sweetener taste down. Overall, while the original sugared version is by far superior, Max Velocity Pom S/F isn't half bad, especially for a sugar free one.

KICK: Each can contains: twenty calories, two grams of protein, 180% of your daily intake of Niacin, 480% of your daily intake of Vit. B6, 160% of your daily intake of Vit. B12, caffeine, Taurine, and ninety percent of your daily intake of Vit. B5. This overall blend of ingredients gave me a pretty good buzz. For around three and a half hours I felt my mentality raise and my alertness go up. After the three+ hours I didn't receive any sort of a crash, which I'm guessing is because of the lack of sugar.

FINAL WARD: Overall, I think that Max Velocity Pomegranate Berry Sugar Free is a decent to good overall energy drink. While the can is in need of some serious work, the good sugar free taste and the decent kick round things out a bit. But despite the drink being rounded out, the drink still isn't a full circle. In the quest for the perfect energy drink, I feel that Max Velocity S/F Pom is nothing more than a mere distraction from your quest, and unless you find it cheap, it should be skipped...3/5

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

I was actually drawn to the drink BECAUSE of the can color. First off I like purple, but more than that, I'm a fan of berry flavors and usually assume that a purple can means berry. And in this case, it does.
Besides going against the grain by liking the can, I also had a very different reaction to the drink. I feel no immediate response. It takes an hour to an hour and a half before it kick starts me, and then I'm wired for several hours. It is, of course, layered over the strong tea I have with breakfast, so it's a caffeine boost rather than a lone caffeine infusion. I'm not sure what makes my response to the drink different than yours, but I thought I'd put it out there.
Thanks for the review, I'm contemplating other flavors.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.