Sunday, June 20, 2010

Howling Monkey Energy Cola Review

Howling Monkey Cola is the last in the line that I currently have, and while its can is essentially the same as Sugar Free Cola, I feel the red and white make the can look a lot alive and exciting. Although I still find some text absolutely useless and the design to be busy, it's easily the best in the line. The colour scheme and the flavour cola go hand in hand, thanks to Coca-Cola and its many imitators, and because of this, Howling Monkey Cola should find comfort with Coke drinkers.

Howling Monkey Cola's taste is far less inspired than that of Rockstar cola, and somehow, it's worse than its sugar free sibling. Initially, the carbonation is the first thing you notice, and it's rougher than I anticipated. Then you get a bland, generic cross of vanilla and cinnamon that's sadly cloaked by a heavy metallic taste. The metallic taste is harsh and very chemical-like, but it's not bitter like it can be. There's a strong citric acidity underlying the latter, and this is one of the few qualities this drink has that reminds me of its billed flavour. The sweetness is low, and despite being all HFCSs, it's not syrupy like one would expect. Cola traditionally has a braid of various spices, to distinguish its taste from other brands, but Howling Monkey Cola doesn't have any spices other than cinnamon. But, the taste is distinguishable from other colas, mainly from those that are well made and engaging.

Howling Monkey Cola's kick is by far its strongest aspect. While it's nothing unlike previous flavours or energy drinks in general, it was respectable and slightly above average. I felt energized for three and a half or so hours after I finished the entire can, and I had slight jitters and a slight crash. Each can contains: caffeine(160mg), taurine, ginseng, guarana, inositol, and a variety of B vitamins. All in all, Howling Monkey Cola is one of those energy drinks that I couldn't recommended spending spare pocket change on, as I'm sure a gum ball would be a more satisfying and worthwhile purchase.

official site

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.