Saturday, September 18, 2010

a.c.t. Energy Drink Review

Well, a.c.t.'s website flaunts the fact that it doesn't contain any added caffeine, but what does that mean? Well, I'm not sure and frankly, I think it's pointless and confusing to make such a claim. Moving on, the can to a.c.t. energy itself isn't bad nor is it exceptional. It makes all the cliche claims of any energy drink, and the "A" symbol above the name seems to of been ripped right off a can of amp. The colour scheme red, silver and blue are unoffensive together, but as a whole the can looks and feels generic and uninspired.

Wow, while a.c.t.'s can was unoffensive, its taste is repulsive and down right disgusting. A milky cherry taste shoddily stitched to a tart lime who's bluntly followed by a candy-like and powdery watermelon begins the flavour. The cherry has notes riding a level below of blue raspberry, but they're faint and indistinct. The stitching holding the cherry and the lime together tastes roughly herbal and organic, but in a bad way. And the lack of any real sweetness doesn't help cover up the unappetizing taste. The earthiness actually ends up being dominate over the other, more palatable flavours. The drink forces your near undivided attention to its worst tasting aspect, which really hurts its drink-ability. Oh, and did I mention that a.c.t. is non carbonated? No, well, as you can imagine, it doesn't help the drinks chance of providing enjoyment. I've read that a.c.t. started out as a terrible tasting energy drink mix, and if it turns out that this is just premixed a.c.t., I wouldn't be surprised.

Each can contains: guarana, green tea, ginseng, taurine, and several B vitamin. What actually surprises me is that the cocktail is actually fairly content; it is only missing caffeine. I wouldn't say that I had energy, but I did receive some sort of raised alertness lasting an hour. Overall, a.c.t. Energy has the potential, no scratch that, is full blown guaranteed to be making an appearance on my annual "your drink sucks" list.

official site

4 comments:

Paul Kemp said...

You left a few important points out of your review of A.C.T.

1)ACT is far healthier than other energy drinks, so I won't be getting diabetes or nervous tics after a few years of using it. (Caffeine addicts totally miss the subtle euphoric buzz of guarana because they're used to the sledge-hammer physical effects of cheap caffeine anhydrous.)

2)ACT can make people who drink it a lot of money. Of course young people who enjoy syrupy soda-pop w/ mega caffeine don't care about money, just like they don't care about their health, but that's okay.

3) Even if you don't want to recommend the drink to others, ACT -- now in a new, sweeter, improved flavor -- can cost less than half what your favorite rip-off drinks cost.

Taste is not the point of energy drinks. Quality energy is. I love ACT!

Unknown said...

I totally disagree with your review. ACT is the only energy drink that I can use that doesn't immediately give me a headache and also run my Blood pressure up to dangerous levels. What it does do is give me all day energy with no crash and burn effects. I can actually use half the serving size and be alert and active all day. I love the product!

Anonymous said...

I use the canisters daily(for the past 8 years now). It tastes like Kool-aid if you mix it with water so instead I mix it with sparkling water and it's great. Very refreshing. If you don't want to buy a lot of sparkling water, you can a soda maker machine and make it from tap water. I switched from coffee to ACT :)

Denilyn H-W said...

Act came before amp. You should do research before making claims.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.