Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lipovitan B3 Energy Drink Review

Lipovitan B3 is an energy drink that I've never knowingly seen or heard of, and so when I found a lone can on an empty shelf at Wal Mart, I was rather surprised. I would have expected to find such a drink at a foreign drug or convenience store, but not my local Wal Mart. Lipovitan B3 comes in a small eight oz. can that's design, while clean and uncluttered, looks generic and rushed. The black and light blue background, and the red lightning bolt pattern is rather boring, and the name "Lipovitan B3" doesn't flow well, and isn't very interesting.

The scent of the liquid wasn't that of a Red Bull clone, which is both surprising and a step in the right direction. Upon first sip, I found the flavour was subtle cross between a muddled lemon and a dry, almost powdery sweet tart taste, with more of an emphasis on the "sweet" than the "tart." The lemon itself doesn't taste natural, and is somewhat candy-like in sweetness. The blend is short lived, as it fairly quickly diminishes, allowing a slight earthy apple to arise. The apple taste is light and difficult to notice, but it's accommodated by a sourness that's presence, while not that strong, outshines the apple, and is on par with the earthy taste. Once the experience ends, there's no after taste or a dry feel left in your mouth. Lipovitan B3 isn't very carbonated, which in turn makes it smooth to drink. And while the flavour was by no means bad, never did I wish the can was bigger.

Lipovitan B3's energy cocktail highlights includ-is: several B vitamins, caffeine, and taurine. As one would expect, I didn't receive much of any kick from this sadly dated ingredient mixture. While I could tell I just had something with caffeine, perhaps a Mtn Dew or another small eight oz. energy drink, it wasn't something to mention in a letter written for home. All in all, Lipovitan B3 may get some points for not being a Red Bull clone, but its uninspired can and its pathetic kick don't get any.

official site

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red Bull is the clone. Lipovitan's been around Asia since the 1960's It's made by Taisho Pharmaceutical, a company based in Japan. Taste better to me, been drinking it since the 80's.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.