Saturday, November 7, 2009

Engage Blue Raspberry

For a while I've been on the look out for a little energy drink named Engage. Ever since I first saw it online I just knew I had to get one. Years passed and I slowly forgot about Engage. Then, in the middle of October, Joey Aplington of NutriVation(the company that owns Engage) sent me an email wondering if I'd like some samples to review. I instantly recognized the name and agreed. When I first heard of Engage I only knew of one flavour, but apparently there's three flavours, and I chose blue raspberry for my first review as it isn't a common flavour. Will this Engage be a successful marriage, or will it be a costly divorce?

FIRST IMPRESSION: The bottle to Engage Blue Raspberry is nothing short of greatness. Re-close-able covers are always welcome and the design itself is is simple and threatening. Though I feel that the bottle is a success, there are some things that worry me. First off, Engage is an extreme energy drink, meaning it is much more potent than the average energy drink. There's a ton of ingredients packed into the small ten oz. bottle and I doubt the flavour will be able to mask it. Second, the drink is non carbonated. Though there are great non carbonated energy drinks, I worry that the flavour will be more like an energy shot than an energy drink. Concerns aside, the bottle is impressive and is sure to attract the attention of the hard core.

TASTE: I screwed off the bottle top and took a sip. The flavour starts out a thick cotton candy and blue raspberry blend. Once both these flavours meld together, a strong artificial sugar taste surfaces, and though the previous blend of flavours do eventually reemerge, they aren't strong enough to cover the horrid taste. Engage Blue Rasp isn't very tart, which is sad as it could of helped bring some life into this otherwise dull flavour. Engage Raspberry is rather rough going down, so I'm glad it's only ten oz. Overall, Engage Blue Raspberry's flavour is boring and lifeless, but for an extreme energy drink flavour isn't everything.

KICK: Each ten oz. bottle contains: 300mg of caffeine anhydrous, potassium citrate, 1000mcg of Vit. B12, geranium extract, 5-hydroxytryptophan, and dimethylaminoethanol. People say don't consume something if you can't pronounce the ingredients, but if your looking one powerful kick then screw that epigram. For a solid five+ hours I lively and full of energy. Following the five+ hours I was hit by a sudden crash, which I found surprising. Since Engage is supposed to be used for extreme activities, I don't think that I'd like to be all the sudden listless if I was climbing a mountain.

FINAL WORD: To be honest, I haven't had all too many "extreme energy drinks" in the past, but the ones I've had were only really successful in the kick category. Thankfully, Engage swerves past some of the grips that other extreme energy drinks had, making for a considerably better product. Though the taste takes a major blow due to the overuse of artificial sweeteners, a bad flavour is not a big concern to those who this drink is marketed to. Now, I'm not someone who is known to do extreme activities, so I can't see my self drinking this often, but for those looking for extra energy while working out, then Engage Blue Raspberry is worth a look...3.7/5

official site

3 comments:

soundofmuzegit said...

Keep this stuff cold because if you allow the container to become warm, a nasty polymeric taste will infuse itself into the drink, and this stuff is too lightly flavored to mask it. Otherwise it works quite well and I use it when I have to be exceptionally 'on' at work (important meetings, etc).

soundofmuzegit said...

Update - Engage got the message and changed the bottles. There are still some of the nasty opaque plastic ones in some stores' stocks, but if you find this in a clear bottle, then it will taste much better.

soundofmuzegit said...

Nutrivation apparently got the message because they have switched to a far superior (tasting anyway) clear bottle.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.