Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gridlock Energy Drink Review

Contrast to the light blue the sugar free variety used, Gridlock regular was given a bright green colour really for only one reason; create a colour similarity between this generic beverage the well known energy drink Monster. This shameless ploy to lure the untrained consumer is wildly practiced but nonetheless, it means that the company didn't attempt at intriguing someone by producing an interesting can design. Gridlock comes in a can nearly identical to the aforementioned variety, and while I did just criticize the presence of green on the can, I do feel that it's a better fit for the design than the powder blue is. It meshes well with the black and silver colouring, both of which are used sparingly compared to the green.

I opened the can and took a sip. The flavour begins with gumminess and sourness, and both are chemically controlled and influenced. The former tastes much of apple, though as everything progresses it begins to mimic more of a pineapple. The apple is initially mild and resembles mostly a rudimentary imitation of the fruit, but the more the apple becomes distinct and focused the faster it mutates into the pineapple. The latter isn't necessarily more authentic or inspired, but it does have a certain vibrancy that gives the flavour a bit of a lively sense of excitement. The antecedent sourness withholds a sort of coy tartness that's faintly flavoured of vanilla, and the anterior taste is manipulated by the same chemical clout that effects the sourness that the vanilla resides within. Things aren't perfect, however, as the evolved apple taste suffers from an over sweetened and gummed abaft. But to the drink's advantage, the flavour concludes soon after the previously described. Surprisingly enough, while Gridlock is mostly your typical and pedestrian Red Bull clone, it shows a solid self restraint that results in a palatable experience not usually provided by such flavours.

Gridlock gives a kick that's as decent as most. I had a good three hours of energy, and while jitters were caused, a crash was not. Each can contains: caffeine, several B vitamins, ginseng, taurine, and inositol. Overall, Gridlock is an energy drink that's as uninteresting as any before it, but it is at least an improvement over the sugar free variant.

15 comments:

Percunctor Auctorita said...

I think you should note that it has an advantage over other energy drinks in that it is so much cheaper.

AlanKH said...

I saw this stuff while shopping at Aldi's today. It stood out because the brand name implies the very opposite of what an energy drink is supposed to do.

Christian said...

Before trying Gridlock, I was a Rockstar fan. I liked the energy Rockstar has, but the taste is crap. Gridlock was only the second engergy I'd ever tried, and I liked it better than Rockstar instantly. After trying about 5 different brands, my favorite for flavor are Amp, and Gridlock. My favorite low carb is definitely Gridlock. It is my opinion that brand awareness sometimes influences ones taste buds - though taste is a subjective thing, I think Gridlock actually stands out as one of the better tasting energy drinks, and it's only .99 per can. It's pretty hard to pay more now that I know the truth.

Intelligent Shopper said...

You say the taste is crap--well, that's your opinion and of course, you are entitled to it. I love the taste of the low-carb Gridlock and it does perk me up quite well! There is a problem finding the low-carb in our Aldi's store, so I guess there's a few others out there besides me who actually like the taste!

Intelligent Shopper said...

Low carb Gridlock is my favorite energy drink. It is refreshing, and I can't wait to have one every morning instead of coffee. There must be a lot of others like me out there as it is often hard to find the low-carb Gridlock in the Aldi's stores I patronize. And equally as great as the taste is that it is A LOT cheaper than any of the other brands. I just wish the warehouse would send more of it to the stores every week.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy one Summit low-calorie Gridlock most workday afternoons. The taste is fine and the price even better. In my mind, it allows me to bypass the midday slump. The flavor bite makes me drink it slower than an average diet soda that would go down too quickly.

Unknown said...

I just wanna if its dangerous to drink 1 every single dsy

Anonymous said...

Well I tried it and thought it tasted ok until I broke out in an allergic reaction. This was the only energy drink that has given me an allergic reaction. I've had several and have tried multiple flavors and all of them did the same thing.

Unknown said...

I found Gridlock quite good so I bought the company! Let me know what I can do to make it better and I certainly will do so!

Margo Anderson said...

I don't drink energy drinks for the " Buzz" well maybe. I am addicted to caffeine, but I don't feel the Buzz or the Stay awakes. I like the flavor. Yesterday was my first try at Gridlock. I love it !!!! Ver light,very refreshing.I baby my one can a day. I am 66 years old with health issues but they are not taking my energy drink away.
Magosmoon@Yahoo.com

Noname said...

You should read a person's entire post before getting all excited. Christian said Rockstar was crap, he liked the energy Rockstar gave but not the flavor and he liked gridlock instantly over Rockstar the first time he tried it

Unknown said...

I would drink red bulls every single day without fail! They put an Aldi's store in right across the street bfrom my home well since I was die hard red bull I would just walk passed the gridlock and continue shopping well one day I decided to atleast try it because the price u couldn't beat and can u imagine how much money I was spending, long story short I'm die hard gridlock for sure!✌️

Unknown said...

I would drink red bulls every single day without fail! They put an Aldi's store in right across the street bfrom my home well since I was die hard red bull I would just walk passed the gridlock and continue shopping well one day I decided to atleast try it because the price u couldn't beat and can u imagine how much money I was spending, long story short I'm die hard gridlock for sure!✌️

Anonymous said...

taste is addictive and spot on. great feeling long lasting energy. became my favorite. drank 2 and had a amazing day looking at historical light houses

katchom said...

numbah 1. clean long lasting energy. after drinking 2 i had a great day looking at historical light houses

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.