Thursday, February 4, 2010

Max Velocity

When I looked in my energy drink fridge for an energy drink to review, I was surprised to see a lone can of Max Velocity. Initially, I was like, "Nah, I've already reviewed you," but then I tried to think back to when I wrote my review for it, and I couldn't. Determined, I sat down at my computer and checked my site for the review, but I couldn't find it. To be perfectly honest, I was, and still am a bit surprised I never reviewed the original Max Velocity. I reviewed every single other variety, even Sugar Free Max Velocity, but never the full sugar version. But that ends today, as today I finally, after three years, finish the Max Velocity line.

FIRST IMPRESSION: Despite being far superior to its brother and sister cans, Max Velocity's can is still far from impressive. While I like the brown/crimson colour and the minimal text, the cheetah looks Photo-Shopped and misplaced. Also, the name "Max Velocity" doesn't have much to do with one either. The name actually comes from Alberson's generic cola Max Cola(I believe), so while it may make sense to name it that, it has nothing to do with the cheetah. It seems the designers liked the name Max Velocity, but they thought their cut photo of the cheetah was just so impressive, so they combined the two. If they removed the cheetah from the design, it may look a bit empty and boring, but at least it wouldn't look terrible.

TASTE: Given that Max Velocity Sugar Free was a Red Bull clone, it should come to no surprise that Max Velocity Original is one too. Gummy vanilla is what I initially tasted when the liquid hit my tongue. Apple rides underneaths the vanilla, and has a slight end-note of spearmint. Trailing closely behind the apple, aspects of orange and grape appear. The orange is sweet and not all too tart, and covers most of the grape, which is equally as sweet. There's not too much of a bubble gum taste, but towards the end, some does surface, and along with a sour climax, ends the experience. Max Velocity is ultra-sweet, and most of the sweetness is sickly sweet and syrupy thanks to the use of HFCS's. This leaves the common film coating your mouth that many drinks have. Overall, Max Velocity's taste is what you'd expect from a generic energy drink, run-of-the-mill.

KICK: Max Velocity's cocktail of ingredients is just as mediocre as its taste: 155mg of caffeine, Taurine, 200% of your daily intake of Vit. B3, 100% of your daily intake of Vit. B5, 160% of your daily intake of Vit. B12, and 500% of your daily intake of Vit. B6. I didn't feel as energized or alert as with previous Velocity drinks, which is sad given they weren't too impressive. The kick lasted only around two or so hours, and I did crash afterwords. But, that's to be expected from a drink with sixty two grams of sugar.

FINAL WARD: I didn't expect the next great thing in energy drinks from Max Velocity. Given the lines history, I knew the can and kick were going to be nothing to write home about, but one thing the line's been able to provide me is an impressive taste, but that's were Max disappoints. While difficult to pull off, Red Bull clones can be delicious, when the company spends serious time on it. Unexpected yet well blended notes, or just less sweetness could significantly improve the taste, so hopefully if Albertson's ever re-releases Max Velocity Original, they'll follow at least one of my suggestions...2/5

No comments:

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. I do not take responsibility for any contents linked or referred to on my guest book/weblog. Photos are either mine or owned by their credited sources. All my photos are free to use without permission. If you see a picture that is yours and do not want it here, just email me and it will be removed.